head> Happy Hayes Family: No More Shoes!

Happy Hayes Family

Friday, March 28, 2008

No More Shoes!

Yesterday (March 27, 2008) was a very exciting day. After having been through a very intense first two months of his life, Andrew started wearing bar-and-brace shoes. At first he had to wear them 24 hours a day. When he was about nine months old, he got to have a four hour break a day. By the time he was one or so, he was able to have them off for eight hours a day. Then he went to wearing them any time he was sleeping - nap and night time. So for the past three years, we have been strapping these shoes on (nearly) every night.

I have been talking about yesterday for the past couple of weeks with Andrew - that he won't have to wear his "night-night shoes" any more, because he would ask for them when I was putting him to bed. "Mom, I need my shoes."

So yesterday, we made our much anticipated trek to Madison to go to the American Family Children's Hospital to see Dr. Nemeth. We are officially released from the bar-and-brace shoes. What a beautiful day! Chris pointed out that I was setting myself up for a major disappointment by making such a big deal of it being the "release day," as we weren't positive. Every indication from our last two visits (last March and then in September) pointed to his fourth birthday as being his release age. And thankfully, I wasn't disappointed. We go back in one year to make sure that he is still on the right track.

I am so thankful for Andrew's progress. God has been so good to us. We were put in the hands of good doctors from the start, his case was mild, and it only involved one foot. He has come a long way. He runs and jumps and keeps up as best he can with the big boys. He doesn't have many of the problems that accompany clubfoot children. God is good!

Last night, Andrew lifted up his blankets and told me that he needed his shoes. I told him that he didn't need his shoes anymore. I got to put him to bed guilt-free with no shoes. What a blessed night. I imagine that it won't take him long to realize that it's ok to sleep without shoes. I am thankful that he will be able to sleep in any position that he wants without having his legs in weird positions because his feet are attached to each other. We are thankful and praising God!

This morning, Andrew got out of bed all by himself. He didn't have to wait for anyone to come untie and unbuckle his shoes before he could get up. The blessings may seem small to others, but they are abounding for me!


March 27, 2008
Last time to take Andrew's shoes off
so that he can get out of bed.


Dr. Nemeth with Andrew


Asleep...


First "legal" night with no shoes. Look at
that peaceful position with feet together!
Now, if we could just get him to sleep
barefoot and let those feet breathe!


Here's what I mean about sleeping
positions with his shoes. Ah! No more!

posted by Robin Hayes, 6:57 AM

9 Comments:

Wow, Robin! I had no idea Andrew had that problem with his foot. Or that he'd had to sleep like that for so long - I can't imagine sleeping with my shoes on! What an amazing blessing to have a break! You're going to have some good "remember when" stories when he's an adult. What a great day! Congratulations!
commented by Blogger Ann-Marie, 9:38 AM  
I must confess I sleep with socks on. I don't know when it started, but I've done it as long as I can remember. I sympathize with Andrew...and praise the Lord for this blessing in your lives! Lori
commented by Blogger Silsbee, 9:51 AM  
I'm thrilled for you and Andrew! Praise the Lord. Thank you for sharing.

Pastor Bixby
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10:27 AM  
I don't remember it of course, but I had braces on my feet too. I don't know if I had to sleep with them or not, but my mom can certainly empathize with you.
congratulations on the major step (no pun intended).
commented by Blogger Heidi, 11:19 AM  
Robin,
I forgot to share with you that my little Gavin's right foot is a clubfoot. Preston and Ian both had feet that turned in, but they were not actually clubfeet. Gavin has been wearing full leg casts for the last 6 weeks. He just had a tendonotomy and next week he gets his shoes with the bar. I'm glad to hear that Andrew is done with his shoes. I'm just thankful that Gavin will finally be able to have a normal bath!! I'm sure eventually I'll be looking forward to the day he no longer has to wear his shoes. God Bless, Nikki
commented by Blogger ATNT1996, 12:19 PM  
hooray for no shoes in bed! That is very exciting!
commented by Blogger mel, 2:56 PM  
Poor thing! That looks so uncomfortable! So glad that you are all done with that!!! Congrats.

~Chrissy
commented by Blogger Chrissy, 5:51 PM  
Hallelujah! Andrew is Brace Free! I loved remembering by looking at the pictures and reading your praises. Thanks for including the sweet pic of Natalie with Baby Andrew! This is a HUGE Step! May Andrew Run FAR and Jump HIGH!

Love, Kristin and Co.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 7:52 PM  
Hippyhorrayhippyhidoo!!!!
commented by Blogger Unknown, 4:12 PM  

Add a comment